Posting Title: AIR OPERATIONS ASSISTANT, FS5
Department/ Office: United Nations Support Office in Somalia
Duty Station: MOGADISHU; BELET WEYINE; KISMAYO
Posting Period: 24 July 2017-22 August 2017
Job Opening number: 17-TRA-UNSOS-81505-R-MULTIPLE D/S (M)
Staffing Exercise ID: N/A
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Extension of the appointment is subject to Extension of the mandate and/or the availability of the funds.
- · Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
- · An impeccable record for integrity and professional ethical standards is essential. All staff of the Ethics Office are required to submit a financial disclosure statement upon appointment and annually thereafter.
- · This vacancy is subject to availability of post. Staff members of the United Nations Secretariat must fulfill the lateral move requirements to be eligible to apply for this vacancy. Staff members are requested to indicate all qualifying lateral moves in their Personal History Profile (PHP) and cover note.
- · These posts are financed by the Support Account for Peacekeeping Operations. Extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval.
Organizational Setting and Reporting
Within delegated authority, the Air Operations Assistant will carry out the following duties: Air Operations Centre (Unit) duties:
- · Plans and coordinates routine (regular passenger/cargo, logistics resupply) flights, special (casualty and medical evacuation, VIP) flights and military operational flights in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), UN directives, Department of Field Support (DFS) Aviation Manual, UN Aviation Standards for Air Transport Operations (UN AVSTADS), UN Aviation Safety Manual, ICAO standards and recommended practices and the host country’s Aeronautical Information Publications (AIPs).
- · Reviews Air Mission Requests and proposes the most suitable air asset(s) to be assigned to a task to achieve the maximum safety, cost efficiency and effectiveness in the mission support.
- · Compiles the daily projected Air Tasking Orders (ATOs) in accordance with the requested tasks; publishes and communicates ATOs to all relevant elements in accordance with the established procedures and deadlines.
- · Coordinates the integrated search and rescue operations for UN air assets and other aircraft upon request.
- · Coordinates diplomatic over flight/landing clearances, ground handling support and hotel accommodation/meal/transportation arrangements for aircrews.