CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: YOUNG GRADUATE INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT
DESCRIPTION OF THE POST
The Ministry of Constitution and Reconciliation invites applicants who are citizens of Somalia for the following young graduate internship:
Position Title: Young Graduate Internship
Supervisor: Director General
Job Category: Different Department
Duty Station: Dhuusamareeb, Somalia
Opening Application Date: 02 Sep 2018
Closing Application Date: 05 Sep 2018
The Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and Federal Member States (FMS) are mandated to reach political agreements on a number of federalism and state building issues and to complete the current constitutional review process (CRP) with the aim of producing a final national constitution agreed upon by all stakeholders, harmonized with FMS constitutions and approved by the Somali people.
Since May 2017, the FGS and FMS began discussions and set December 2019 as the deadline to complete the revision of Federal Provisional Constitution adopted in 2012. The CRP, launched in May 2018 at a national constitutional convention held in Mogadishu, consists the implementation of a number of work components such as civic education, outreach and political dialogue and reconciliation activities in order to reach a final agreement on politically contentious issues and decide what kind of federalism is suitable for Somalia. Galmudug has a responsibility to effectively contribute to the constitution-making process.
The Galmudug Ministry of Constitution and reconciliation (MOCAR) is mandated to participate in the CRP and federalization processes on behalf of Galmudug State. MOCAR was established in 2015 with the mission of “serving the people of Galmudug by developing, promoting and sustaining democratic values and practices and protecting their rights in a federal Somalia.” The Ministry is also mandated to implement a far-reaching and diverse civic education and public consultation campaigns to educate citizens and record their inputs on key issues relating to the ongoing constitutional reform and federalism.
To implement its mission, the Ministry focuses on five core priorities:
§ Strengthening the capacity of the Ministry;
§ Leading the Galmudug democratization process;
§ Leading Galmudug’s engagement in the national constitutional review process;
§ Engaging in negotiations with FGS and FMS aiming to complete national federal structures; and
§ Implementing civic education and outreach programs for the Galmudug people.
The main objective of this position is to provide policy formulation advice and coordination as well as capacity development to ensure that Galmudug MOCAR effectively participates and makes lasting contributions to the federalization and constitution-making processes.
PURPOSE OF THE YOUNG GRADUATE INTERNSHIP
The Young Graduate Internship position is aimed at providing Somali graduates with quality temporary work experience that will make them stronger candidates for job openings in the private and public sectors through a four-month placement. It is common knowledge that majority of the unemployed youths are graduates who have no working experience and are most times not successful in their job applications because employers prefer experienced hands. The MOCAR interns will be placed in departments and sections for a four-month internship period. The Ministry is seeking four (4) young graduate interns for the upcoming constitutional review process events and activities.
SCOPE OF WORK
Interns are expected to support the MOCAR departments in day-to-day functions and perform the following duties:
§ Supporting in organizing workshops/consultative forums;
§ Provide day-to-day support for department directors in the Ministry;
§ Assist the Ministry in the implementation of constitution, federalism and democratization activities;
§ Conducting research and any required assessments;
§ Support in the preparation of various documentation and reports;
§ Assist in the collecting and dissemination of information;
§ Working time: 6 days/week (Saturday – Thursday) from 8:30AM – 1:00PM.
Estimated Duration to Complete
Target Due Dates
Review and Approvals Required (Indicate designation of person who will review output and confirm acceptance)
- Workshops/consultative forums organized
By end of Month 1, 2, 3, 4
Day-to-day support for department directors in the Ministry provided
By end of Month 1, 2, 3, 4
Research and any required assessments conducted
By end of Month 1, 2, 3, 4
Information collected and disseminated
By end of Month 1, 2, 3, 4
DURATION OF WORK
The contract is four (4) months from the period September 2018 to December 2019.
THE AREAS OF THE INTERSHIP
Under the supervision of the Director General, interns will assist Ministry of Constitution and Reconciliation (MOCAR) in the implementation of the project activities in the following areas:
· Planning and coordination;
· Institutional development;
· ICT (information and communications technology)
· Media and public relations;
· Translations services – Somali to English and English to Somali;
· Legal affairs;
· Report writing;
· Project management;
· Human resource;
· Gender and human rights; and
· Events planning and management.
· Must be a university graduate
· Proficiency in Somali and English is required;
· Computer literate in standard software applications;
· Demonstrated keen interest in the work of the Government; and
· Demonstrated the ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views;
SKILLS AND CONPETENCIES
· Demonstrates integrity, impartiality, fairness, honesty and truthfulness in daily activities and behaviours.
· Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
· Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolutions skills.
· Demonstrates ability to share knowledge, mentor and coach people to transfer skills.
· Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
· Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
· Sound judgment; ability to extract, interpret, analyze and format data and to resolve operational problems.
· Ability to work with minimum of supervision; and to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
· Ability to work with accuracy under time constraints and pressure;
· Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with staff members and others and to have a high sense of confidentiality, accountability, initiative and good judgment.
· Training and user support skills;
· Team work skills or proven skills in working as part of a team,
· Proven leadership ability and management skills,
· Good interpersonal skills;
· Ability to build networks and make effective contacts and connections;
· Excellent presentational skills – both verbal and written;
· Excellent communication and people skills;
· Fluency in Somali and English is mandatory. Spoken other languages like Arabic is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required; must be a native speaker of Somali and fluency in Arabic is an advantage.
The Galmudug Ministry of Constitution and Reconciliation is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Young graduate internship will need to take his/her own laptop.
The selection criteria for young graduate interns are as follows:
§ Must be a citizen of Somalia (with a valid ID);
§ Must be committed for a period of five months;
§ Must not be more than 30 years of age;
§ Must be graduate from a university in the related field;
Interested parties must submit the following:
§ Statement of interest and relevant background (maximum four paragraphs; please indicate if you have particular expertise or experience related to the departments and tasks described above, as well as if you are available for four (4) months;
§ Comprehensive Curriculum Vitae.
§ Three (3) contactable referees who have good knowledge of the candidate’s work.
§ Copies of all academic qualifications.
Applications must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org and CC email@example.com by —————————————————–quoting the job title on the email subject line.