The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, emergency school feeding, nutrition and food assistance for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers.
The Finance Officer will support a broad portfolio covering finance, accounting, administrative and HR related services under the supervision of the Head Area Office/s. YOU will work independently, in coordination with Country Office technical units (Finance, Admin, HR and Procurement), in using technical knowledge and expertise to analyse data, prepare reports, advise and provide guidance as well as identify opportunities for improvements.
The role is based inside Somalia and is open to qualified candidates; female candidates, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Ensure compliance with WFP financial policies, procedures, rules and regulations;
· Set up proper accounting procedures, systems and internal controls;
· Ensure that financial reporting is timely and accurately prepared and analysed;
· Ensure reconciliation and review of WFP accounts is performed on a regular basis;
· Ensure that disbursements are made based on proper authorizations and supported by legitimate and sufficient documentation;
· Ensure proper maintenance of vendor accounts and timely clearance of outstanding advances and other receivables;
· Coordinate financial closure for imprest accounts and report to audit queries and follow on recommendations;
· Evaluate and monitor administrative services and recommends changes in policies, systems and procedures to ensure services are aligned with changing business needs and objectives;
· Ensures WFP’s administrative resources are properly accounted for and that internal control systems are adequate and functioning;
· Manage premises to ensure efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and timeliness of operations and services; Review adequacy of office space requirements and makes recommendations;
· Negotiates contracts with vendors and service providers to ensure cost-effective services, quality and timely service;
· Take charge of Area Office asset management, inventory, disposal and transfer of office assets;
· Manage WFP Guest House, including third party contractors for facility/compound management;
· Manage incoming/outgoing shipments on time customs clearances/tax exemptions from government authorities;
· Coordinate human resource activities such as local recruitment, HR reporting, time keeping etc., in liaison with the HR Nairobi Office;
· Contribute to preparedness actions such as early warning, risk analysis and contingency planning and make recommendations as required.
Staff Supervision and Management:
· Drafts correspondence and implement procedural directives relating to administrative and financial matters;
· Develop training programmes to enhance performance and efficiency of administrative and finance staff;
· Implement staff learning and development program activities for gradual capacity building of national staff.
Advanced University degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting or related fields, or First University degree in the same subject(s) with additional years of related work experience plus membership in an international recognized professional accountancy body such as Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Institute of Certified Public Accounts (ICPA) or equivalent.
Three years of relevant professional experience in Finance and Administrative work.
Fluency in both oral and written communication in English is a requirement.
Knowledge and skills:
Experience in the field of Administration/Finance/Procurement/HR, in-depth knowledge of internal controls and proper accounting procedures and systems, knowledge of administration best practice.
HOW TO APPLY:
You are required to submit an online application through E-Recruitment using the following link:
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WFP seeks applicants of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Selection of candidates is made on a competitive basis.
SOURCE: Finance Officer, Short-Term Professional, P2 – Somalia