MINISTRY OF INITERIOR AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT SOUTH-WEST STATE OF SOMALIA.
TOR: ADMINISTARTION AND FINANCE CONSULTANT
I. General Information
Title of Consultancy:
Local Governance Administration and Finance Consultant
Type of Contract:
Duration of the assignment:
7 months period
Director General of Ministry of Interior
The Ministry of Interior (MOI) with support from UNDP/JPLG, seeks to promote wider governance improvements, strengthen public administration’s ability to achieve better service delivery and increase citizens’ systematic engagement, especially at the local government levels where basic services are coordinated, planned, financed and reported. MOI has a particular focus on inclusion for enhancing partnerships at the national level through the Governance Sector Working Group, to promote multi-stakeholder policy dialogue on good governance.
The Ministry of Interior of South-West State of Somalia is responsible for the Local Government portfolio, including establishing systems of local governance; developing capacity and providing oversight. In order to support the Ministry to perform its mandate the UN Joint Programme for Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery (JPLG) will financially support the deployment of Admin and Finance consultant.
Within the mandate the Ministry of Interior is to develop policies, tools and approaches to implement the Provisional Constitution of Somalia, upholds the Constitutional principle that ‘service delivery is delivered at the level of government that is most effective’. In this regard, the strategy will address, intra-alia, political, fiscal and administrative decentralization in the Somali context, systems and processes for enhancing public service delivery, increasing public investment in basic services, strengthen civic awareness and participation in local decision-making and development, building policy and legal frameworks for decentralization, local government, service provision, institutionalizing local government systems and vertical and horizontal inter-government linkages.
II. Objectives of the assignment
Objectives of the assignment Finance Support Consultant will support the Head of the Finance Office of the Ministry of Interior to execute finance management, and support the Director General in preparing annual & quarterly budgets and expenditure reports, required by different development partners supporting the State Programme. This position will also support needs in relation to capacity development in the Ministry of Interior to take on a growing role in managing external assistance as well as support channeled to other ministries, districts or other offices by the Ministry of Interior.
The admin and finance consultant will help design budgeting and procurement policies and procedures as well as develop administrative and financial systems that address cash-flow management, forecasting etc. in order to provide transparent and accountable systems.
Develop Administration and finance tools to achieve the intended goal of increasing transparency and accountability for local government service delivery.
III. Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ability to plan, prioritise and deliver tasks on time; ability to participate effectively in a team-based information sharing environment; acceptance of additional responsibilities and capacity to work under pressure; high client service orientation; high initiative to solve problem; excellent analytical skills; excellent communication skills.
2. Facilitate MOI’s team to carry out regular updating of financial system and records, and instruct
the compilation of monthly, quarterly and annual budget expenditure reports,
3. Put in place the necessary procedures, practices and training to fill capacity gaps and strengthen the whole financial systems of the Ministry of Interior
Undertake technical assessments of staff capacity in finance and Adminisatrion at the beginning and end of year ,provide necessary training to upgrade skills of the staff when required
4. Maintain proper accounting records and preparing financial statements that provide a true and fair view and follow national finance procedures in agreed financial accounting, reporting and make recommendation.
5. Ensure the financial management practices endorsed and decreed by the MoI are dully followed.
1. Assists the MOI Department Administration and Finance (MOIDAF) to improve its oversight and supervisory role by enhancing financial management skills;
6. Assist MOI to verify payment, direct advance and contract payment request and settle advances and follow up on reconciliation of direct payment executed by development partners, including
7. Carry out internal assessment of Finance and administration systems/mechanisms, process and procedures within MoIDAF and support technical work such as reviewing methods, carrying out training needs, designing finance tools and advising senior leaders of the MOI and plan day to day implementation activity of financial resources
8. Support MOI for establishment of consistency in financial planning and budgeting for all districts and components getting supports from JPLG.
9. Coordinate monthly, quarterly and annual budget meetings for the MOI programme, including
setting agenda for meetings and preparing monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports (and
other reports as necessary) for monitoring purposes
10. Ensure that all the ministry departments and local governance produce and manage semi-annual progress as per department.
VI. EXPECTED OUTPUT AND DELIVERABLES
Under the direct supervision of Director General of MOI, and working closely with the Administration Finance Department Director, the consultant will discharge the following functions:
The consultant can undertake MOI’s day to day office administration requirements such as transport, petty cash, purchasing and procurement, rental and utility agreements, inventory, etc., ensuring procedures and documents are maintained in line with MOI and UNDP requirements. These assignments are expecting to be in place within three months.
The consultant is expecting to undertake MOI’s finance procedures, including day to-day expenditure management and monitoring, relevant aspects of periodic donor reports, financial transactions with UNDP and local banking services, ensuring procedures and documents are maintained in line with and MOI, UNDP and other donors’ money requirements. Afore-mentioned deliverables are expecting put in place within three months during contract period.
The consultant is expected to undertake MOI human Resource procedures including contracts, leave reports, payments, travel requests, payroll preparations ensuring procedures and documents are maintained in line with MOI and UNDP requirements. This on job- training is providing administration and finance department staff including accountant, cashier, administration head unit and other departments of MOI. These assignments are expected to be in place within three months of contract period.
IV: Qualifications and Competencies
V. Gender Mainstream:
Ministry of Interior is an equal opportunity employer and women young graduates are encouraged to apply.
I. Level of Education:
Bachelor’s degree in, Business management,Public Administration, Business Administration, Management, or related discipline.
II. Work Experience:
At least five (5) years of relevant experience in the field of Administration and Finance
III. Languages needed:
Excellent oral and written communication skills for both English and Somali
I. V. General Skills / Other Requirements:
1. Excellent communication and presentation skills, analytical and interpersonal abilities;
2. Ability to operate as part of a team, but also independently;
3. Ability to identify innovative approaches to problems in a challenging environment;
4. Computer proficiency with high level of familiarity with commonly used packages like MS office;
5. Ability to work under pressure
VI. Location of the Work:
The Administration and Finance consultant will work in the Ministry of Interior Office in Baidoa1 town and sometimes may travel to the field and other missions
Application: Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
Please send your curriculum vitae to the ministry’s office in Baidoa by 27/10/2018 or to this email: email@example.com and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com subject line Mark on it ‘Administration and Finance Consultant with MOI the header address. MOI will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.