Mine Risk Education Officer (MRE Officer)
Employment category: (Grade 5 Step 1)
Reporting to: HMA Coordinator
Unit/department:DDG Program/ Mine Action
Location:Baidoawith Frequent travel when needed
Authorization level:None as per IDRA
Advert No DRC2018/057
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization, Founded on the basis of humanitarian principles, and huma rights based approach, to secure the protection of refugees internally displaced persons (IDPs), and to promoting long term solutions to the problems of forced displacement. DRC has been operating in Somalia since 1997 mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict and natural disaster. DRC programs include Protection, Food security & Livelihoods, Shelter/NFI and Water & Sanitation.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectos: security systems reform, small arms and light weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and conflict Management.
ABOUT THE JOB
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Somalia Programis seeking for Mine Risk education (MRE) Officerwho is Somali national & will be based in Baidoa. The MRE Officer will be responsible for the direct plan, monitor, implement the MRE activities and ensure training and risk awareness quality
· Plan, monitor, implement the MRE activities and ensure training and risk awareness quality
· Empower, build capacity and coach other staff, community volunteers and other stakeholder staff
· Ensure communication, networking and coordination at field level for MRE activities
· Conduct MRE training in the assigned Somalia communities according to MRE SOP in close co-operation with the MRE Specialist.
· Collect and compile UXO survey information during community visits, and share it with the MRE Specialist.
· Collect and compile mine/UXO victim information during community visits, and share it with report it to the MRE Specialist. Ensure the information flow to the relevant SOWMAC.
· Be responsible for MRE training material condition and quantities designated for the team. Plan the needs of training material for the next work period and place a request accordingly.
· Check all equipment and training material of the team for any damages in a daily basis and report accordingly.
· Any security Issue you have to Report to the MRE Specialist or Security Officer.
· Good Coordination and Commination with other IPs who are working in the relevant area.
· Keep record of daily, weekly and monthly MRE activities.
· Report the progress weekly to the MRE Specialist.
· Maintain communication to the MRE Specialist daily according to the SOP.
· Maintain close contact and coordination of activities with the DDG EOD teams.
· Keep MRE Specialist updated in the MRE activities progress through the IMSMA Monthly Reports.
· Report to SOWMAC on any newly discovered mine accidents, incidents, SHAs, mines and UXOs.
· Ensure good communication and coordination with local communities.
· Follow up operational work plan.
Liaise, assist and coordinate with other MRE Facilitators in the field.
Required qualifications and experience:
Proven skills on capacity building/teaching/awareness raising sessions and communications.
Experience with Mine Risk Education programming
Knowledge and at least 2 years’ experience in project implementation / experience in working with local communities, and local authorities.
Experience in training / facilitating / coaching.
Experience in managing people / management.
Experience in coordinating with stakeholders
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
· Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
· Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Availability: August, 2018
Other terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for National staff,
The position is open to Nationals ONLY.
Interested & qualified candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their updated CV and a 1-page Cover letter clearly stating their motivation and why they are suited for the post to firstname.lastname@example.org subject heading “MRE Officer” not later than 14th July 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the written test & oral interview.
(DRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer)
READ MORE FROM THE SOURCE: Mine Risk Education Officer (MRE Officer)