TITLE: Teacher Training Officers (Two Positions)
CONTRACT LENGTH: 12 months
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; ore because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The core function of this position is to coordinate and implement AEP teacher training and Teacher Professional Development (TPD) programs across all the supported learning centres in the regions under the USAID- funded, Accelerated Quality Learning for Somali Children and Youth program. Teacher training Officer will work with the teacher training Specialist to ensure all in-service teachers training programs and any other short term teacher trainings are well organized and carried out, based on the training needs identified. In agreement with the line manager, and other relevant stakeholders, the job holder will work alongside other players on the day-to-day planning, coordination, and reporting on the component deliverables towards achieving the programme objectives.
SCOPE OF ROLE: Teacher training officers (2 Positions)
Reports to: Education Programme Manager
Dimensions: Save the Children works in 4 regions in Puntland with over 150 staff.
Number of direct reports: None
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
· Under the supervision of the Teacher Training Specialist, the Teacher Training Officer will
· assist with the development, finalization and implementation of realistic and practical medium-term plan for teacher development
· Work with teachers’ trainers and teacher training institutions, to develop relevant, locally resourced teacher training materials and resources
· Coordinate and plan with the teacher trainers and institutions on the training requirements
· Monitor the ALP teachers training programs
· Work with teacher trainers to adapt and contextualize training materials
· Coordinate with trainers, to field test and finalize training materials
· Work with trainers to assess teachers’ skills and training needs/ gaps
· In consultation with the Teacher Training Specialist and other stakeholders, develop basic training package
· Implement in-service training package in collaboration with MOE
· Provide regular updates to management on the progress of teachers training program
· Support in the Implementation of procedures and systems for teacher supervision, coaching, and monitoring
· Work with the Teacher Training Specialist, to Establish teacher learning circles
· Work with teacher training Specialist to establish Teacher Professional Development Plan.
Reporting and information sharing:
Under the guidance of the EPM:
· Ensure the timely submission of the required reports to the line manager.
· Assist EPM in developing timely and high quality project progress, monitoring and completion reports that meet donor and SCI requirements.
· Ensure the attendance for all teacher training sessions and community members, parents, local community leaders engagement, and share the updates, action points and plans for the up-coming week.
· Identify operational/technical and management problems arising during the implementation of the project activities and report to the responsible line manager to ensure timely action is taken.
· Produce timely project quarterly monitoring reports and ensure its documentation and dissemination to concerned bodies.
General statements of responsibility
Perform other related tasks as requested by immediate supervisor.
Comply with all Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child protection, health and safety, fraud, whistle blowing, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
Account for SCI’s assets and interests and safeguard from loss arising from fraud, waste, weak administration or poor value for money.
· Carry out the responsibilities of the role in a way which reflects Save the Children’s commitment to safeguarding children in accordance the CSG and Child Protection Policies.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related fields and/or relevant experiences in education programme administration and management.
· A minimum of two years of professional experience in programme planning and management, including budget management; research, analysis and programme implementation at national and sub-national levels within teacher development- related matters with different stakeholders and partners.
Conversant with education policies and strategies and must poses understanding of education Issues particularly those related to teacher training and school management.
· Minimum of two years of work experience in humanitarian aid delivery or development field, especially Education in Emergencies in Somalia context with/or community mobilization.
· Background in teaching and teacher training.
Knowledge of project cycle management with stakeholder participation in project implementation and monitoring.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to foster effective partnerships with a range of implementing partners are required.
· Knowledge of local education context in Somalia, especially Accelerated Learning program context in Somalia.
· Experience in working in emergencies setting.
· Demonstrate understanding of Puntland education system and education in humanitarian programmes.
· Experience of working in the Region.
· Working knowledge of Child protection.
COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURS
Delivering Results (Skilled)
Delivers timely and appropriate results using available resources
Takes responsibility for their work and its impact on others
Plans, prioritizes and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
Understands the link between their work and the organization’s objectives
Problem Solving & Decision Making (Skilled)
Gathers the right information and uses critical thinking to make effective and timely decisions
Knows when to involve others in a decision
Simplifies processes and procedures wherever possible
Applying Technical & Professional Expertise (Skilled)
Delivers work that reflects a good knowledge and application of technical and professional standards
Keeps up to date with trends in their work area
Maintains ethical and professional behavior in accordance with relevant codes of conducts
Working Effectively with Others (Skilled)
Actively listens to new and different perspectives and experiences of those they work with
Proactively supports team members and trusts their capabilities
Demonstrates understanding of their skills and how they complement those of others within diverse teams and groups
Clarifies their role and responsibilities within the team to maximize impact.
Communicating with Impact (Skilled)
Ensures communications are concise and well-structured
Shares appropriate relevant and timely information with others
CHILD SAFEGUARING POLICY:
Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child Safeguarding – [Declaration of Acceptance Form] and comply with the SCI’s Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staff are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children International’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
Interested applicants can apply this position through the below URL and can submit their application to our portal. The application closes on 16th January, 2020 at 11:59 pm.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages all the qualified candidates to apply
Date of issue: December, 2019 Author: SCI