MINISTRY OF INTERIOR JUBBALAND STATE OF SOMALIA
TERMS OF REFERENCE Administration and Finance Consultant
I. General Information
Title of Consultancy:
Type of Contract: Consultant
Duration of assignment: 7 months
Duty station: Kismayo
Supervisor: Director General: Ministry of Interior and Local Government (MoILG)
Issue date: 10/10/2018
Deadline for application: 23/10/2018
II. Organizational Context
The Ministries of Interior and Local Governments (MoILG) of Somalia are responsible for the local government’s portfolio, including district council formation, establishing systems for local governance structures and strengthening their capacity with a view to promoting democratic and accountable local governmentsthat provide better basic services for stability and enhanced peace.The MoILG develop policies, tools and approaches to implement the Provisional Constitution of Somalia, which states that ‘service delivery is delivered at the level of government that is most effective’. In this regard, the MoILG support service delivery at local level through political, fiscal and administrative decentralization in the Somali context. To support the administrative and fiscal functions, the MoILG intends to recruit Administration and Finance consultants.
The UN Joint Programme on Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery in Somalia (UN JPLG) which is a five-year joint programme comprising ILO, UNCDF, UNDP, UN-HABITAT and UNICEF with the overall goal of “creating an enabling environment for improved service delivery and greater stability, through improved legal, policy and system frameworks – building the knowledge of those working in and with local governments” will support the MoILG in recruiting the Administration and Finance Consultants who will to be based in the Ministries of Interior and Local Government and will be supervised by the Director Generals of MoILG. The position is for a limited period of seven months.
III. Objectives of the assignment
The Administration and Finance Consultant will: –
· Support the Director General and theHead of the Finance Office, MoILGto execute their financial management mandates including but not limited to preparing annual andquarterly budgets and expenditure reports required by different development partners supporting the Statesprogrammes.
· Support the capacity development of MoILG staff to take on a growing role in managing external assistance as well as support channeled to other ministries, districts or other offices by the MoILG.
· Assist in designing budgeting and reporting procedures as well as develop financial systems and tools that address cash-flow management that are, transparent and accountable.
· Develop transparent and accountable administration procedures and tools that facilitate efficient service delivery.
IV. Scope of Work
· Assist in preparation, implementation and monitoring of budgets
· Facilitate the MoILG team to carry out regular assessments of the finance and administration systems forupdating.
· Support the MoILG to ensure consistency in administrative and financial planning and budgeting for the districts
· Assist in compilation of the monthly, quarterly and annual expenditure and other budget related reports including donor reports and coordinating meetings on those reports as required
· Guide and train MoILG staff on administrative services and financial systems and their management
· Support capacity needs assessment and ensure capacity gaps are addressed in a timely manner
· Assist in set up and implementation of proper finance procedures, systems and internal controls
· Assist in maintenance of proper books of account in accordance with national finance procedures and prepare periodic financial and statistical reports
· Assist in organizing and facilitating the administrative office work including establishment of procedures for tracking internal correspondence maintaining manual records and automated reports related to logistics, budgets and others and to
· Assist in ensuring that all works are done in accordance with established guidelines and financial management practices decreed by MoILG.
· Assist the MoILG and local governments prepare their progress reports within the agreed timelines
· Assist in managing the office with respect to communications and meetings and prioritizing items that need the supervisor’s attention
· Assist in contract management for external contractors including checking invoices and delivery notes against good as and services provided
· Assist in processing and monitoring payments by verifyingthe correctness of documents provided and reconciling advances by development partners after expenditure in a timely manner
· Assist the MoILG Department of Administration and Finance improve its oversight and supervisory role by enhancing their financial management skills
· Assist in human resources management such as contracts, leave reports and payroll processing
· Perform any other duties that maybe assigned by the Director General or requested by the JPLG.
V. Monitoring and Reporting
The consultants will provide quarterly progress reports to the Director General and JPLG summarizing work done not later than 20 days after the end of the quarter. The reports are to be endorsed by the JPLG and approved by the Director General. These will form the basis for end of contract performance evaluation.
VI: Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Management,Social Science, Public Administration or any other relevant field.Additional qualifications in training methodologies, adult learning and master’s degree are an added advantage.
Experience and skills:
· At least 5 years of relevant work including 3 years I the field of administration, accounting and / or finance
· Excellent communication and presentation skills, analytical and interpersonal abilities;
· Ability to operate as part of a team, but also independently;
· high client service orientation
· Ability to identify innovative approaches to problems in a challenging environment;
· Computer proficiency with high level of familiarity with commonly used packages like MS office;
· Self-motivated and self-driven and ability to work with a minimum of guidance.
· Ability to push processes forward, to be persuasive and at the same time collaborative, supportive and diplomatic.
· Ability to be calm and well humored while under pressure
· Fluency in written and spoken Somali and English required.
VII. Other Information
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
VIII. Application submission
Please send your curriculum vitae, cover letter and copy of credentials marked“Administration and Finance Consultant to the ministry’s office in Kismayo by 27/10/2018email: firstname.lastname@example.org and copy Abdirizak.email@example.com. MOI will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest