TERMS OF REFERENCE
For mapping and assessing existing Youth Associations in Hargeisa
Somaliland DANIDA LOT Civil Society is an integrated project funded by Danida in partnership with Save the Children and implementing partners of Somaliland National Youth Umbrella (SONYO) and Comprehensive Community Based Rehabilitation in Somaliland (CCBRS). The program aims to contribute development of vibrant strong CSOs that contribute, advocate and reduce the physical, institutional and social violence against children and youth.
Furthermore, civil society partners in Somaliland including youth associations are expected to contribute to reducing physical institutional and social violence against children and youth. As result of increased capacity of government line ministries, children and youth to enforce the child protection policies and laws, youth empowered and resilient groups of children and youth who are able to claim their rights and protect themselves from violence.
- Objectives of the assignment:
The overall objective of the exercise is to assess pre-identified existing youth association in Hargeisa, identifying capacity gaps and developing capacity-strengthening plan to ensure their engagement in decision making, reducing violence against youth, increasing access to livelihood opportunities and lobbying key policies/regulations affecting youth wellbeing among the duty bearers.
- Methodology and Scope of work:
The consultant is to come up with appropriate tools to assess capacity gaps of youth association in consultation with SONYO Umbrella and Save the Children. The consultant will explore during assessment and consider the youth associations’ mandate, objectives, and thematic focus areas of intervention, size of council/Board members, structures and their articles of association and any other legal procedures adopted. The consultant shall visit 24 pre-identified existing youth associations, meet with their key executive management and councils, and review legal documentations, meeting minutes, projects undertaken /achievement over the existed years, priorities/strategies, advocacy and networking.
SONYO umbrella and Save the Children will provide necessary arrangement associated with the exercise. Consultant should support the selected youth association’s members to figure out capacity gaps and prioritize to develop capacity-strengthening plan.
During Mapping and capacity assessment of youth association, the consultant shall determine the identified youth association’s strength in terms of their:
- Influence on duty bearers and government about policies and laws affecting youth.
- Advocacy and lobbying capacity
- Communication and networking – Representation among the youth.
- Relevant tools for mapping and capacity assessment is prepared.
- Identified and recommended youth association
- Identified capacity gaps based on the context
- Developed capacity strengthening plan for selected youth associations
- Share final comprehensive report.
- Target Groups:
Youth Associations/Organizations working on youth empowerment with different thematic focus (Employment, Education, Environment/Health, Sports, Gender etc).
- Location of the Assignment:
- Roles and Responsibilities
7.1.Consultant: The consultant will be responsible for developing mapping and capacity assessment tools, conducting the assessment and submitting capacity assessment report.
7.2 Save the Children: will provide necessary arrangement including transport
7.3 SONYO: will facilitate in accessing to the identified youth associations
- Duration and Timeframe
The duration and timeframe for the assignment will tentatively be aligned to below table
|Key Tasks||# days|
|Developing and validation of Tools||3|
|Presentation of inception report||1|
|Data collection and analysis||11|
|Preparation of final consolidated report||3|
- Qualifications and Expertise required
- Post-graduate degree in Social Sciences, Education, Economics, Statistics or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant professional experience in research or tracer studies.
- Background knowledge and experience in vocational skills programs is essential.
- Strong experience in conceptualizing and implementing tracer studies within the context of TVET and preferably in the context of Somaliland and/or Somalia.
- Excellent communication and report writing skills.
- Application Procedure & Requirements
Candidates interested in the position are expected to provide the following documentation:
- A technical proposal with detailed response to the TOR, with specific focus on the scope of work, methodology to be used and key selection criteria.
- Initial work plan based on methodology outlined, and indication of availability
- A financial proposal detailing the daily rate expected and other mode of payment
- Company profile or CV including a minimum of 3 references
- Detailed budget breakdown based on expected daily rates.
Candidates should send the above mentioned documents via email@example.com not later than 23rd June 2018. Please be informed that only qualified candidates will be shortlisted and invited for interview.
- Code of conduct
Save the Children’s work is based on deeply held values and principles of child safeguarding, and it is essential that our commitment to children’s rights and humanitarian principles is supported and demonstrated by all members of staff and other people working for and with Save the Children. Save the Children’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to and the consultant is bound to sign and abide to the Save the Children’s Code of Conduct.
A contract will be signed by the consultant before commencement of the action. The contract will detail terms and conditions of service, aspects on inputs and deliverables. The Consultant will be expected to treat as private and confidential any information disclosed to her/him or with which she/he may come into contact during her/his service. The Consultant will not therefore disclose the same or any particulars thereof to any third party or publish it in any paper without the prior written consent of Save the Children. Any sensitive information (particularly concerning individual children) should be treated as confidential.
An agreement with a consultant will be rendered void if Save the Children discovers any corrupt activities have taken place either during the sourcing, preparation and implementation of the consultancy agreement.
- Mandatory Security Training
The consultant shall be expected to go through mandatory on-line security training and submit the certificate of completion to SC before the commencement of the task. Failure to deliver this will lead to an automatic disqualification. SC will advise on the security plan on appointment.